Friday, July 23, 2010

Splendid Country Sights

Summer is a splendid time to observe nature in all of it's glory. Peach, nectarine and cherry trees become laden with plump, sweet, juicy fruit, avian parents are busy tending to their hungry, demanding fledglings and flowering flora delights the eyes with colorful butterflies seeking nourishment.

Though our acreage out in the country is beautiful year-round, the summer season is especially magical. Below are several photos taken on our scenic property in southwest Indiana.


A radiant Great Spangled Fritillary alights on leafy forest groundcover


This handsome Eastern Phoebe perches conspicuously on a wire fence


An elegant Widow Skimmer Dragonfly clings to a blade of grass



A closer look at the delicate lacy wings

While checking on our peach trees, two small figures caught my eye ~ These frisky spotted White-tailed Deer fawns romped and played in the grassy field for a moment and then disappeared into the forest ~ This was one of those times when I wish I had my telephoto zoom lens attached to my camera ~ This shot was taken with a macro lens.

A Flower Longhorn Beetle finds this bright Wild Bergamont wildflower very appealing


A noisy Great Crested Flycatcher shows off its colorful plumage ~ An interesting note, this eastern flycatcher often uses shed snakeskins as lining for its nest

A colorful insect sporting tufts of black, orange and white setae, this Milkweed Tiger Moth Caterpillar was one of several feasting on the leaves of a Common Milkweed plant

This little Gray Tree Frog has become one of our favorite property pets ~ It has taken up residence in the spacious underside of our tilted bird bath basin ~ Quite a smart choice as it is fully protected from the wind, rain and scorching sun

Every time I clean out the bird bath I get a glimpse of our hopping friend ~ When I am finished cleaning the basin, I must be especially careful snapping the bowl gently back into place. This little creature has to be positioned JUST right in order not to be a flattened frog

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in awe of your photos Julie!! Every one is stunning! The dragonfly "super" macro is superb...but then again, they all are! Lovely post :)

Anonymous said...

Tremendous shots and the story that goes along really brings the experience to life. I love all the photos, they each convey a glimpse of your beautiful property and experience with nature.

Dan Huber said...

wow, you have some amazing photographs. I especially love the Gr.Flycatcher.

dan

Whimbrel Nature said...

Great post once again Julie. Love the close-ups!

Unknown said...

Fantastic as always!! :D

Chris Petrak said...

Thanks for following my blog. I am just getting caught up on my blog reading. I hope to visit here often. Your photography is impressive.

Birding is Fun! said...

Spectacular images! I love the nature diversity on your blog.

PoetessWug said...

Now, you know how to take a photograph!!!! :-)) I have to keep following you so I can get some tips!

Julie G. said...

All of your lovely comments mean so very much to me. A very gracious thank you to all. I'm extremely appreciative.
~ Julie

Kerri Farley said...

WOW Julie ~ these are FABULOUS! That little froggie is just adorable!!

FAB said...

My first time here and I'm very, very impressed by your nature photography. I'll definitely be popping back. FAB.

http://fabearlybirder.blogspot.com/
http://fabirding.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

great light on your photos! I like the bugs and the froh :-)

JRandSue said...

Stunning photography.
Love your Header.
John.

Unknown said...

Wow! Dragonfly shots my fave. Well done Julie!

Debbie Miller @HooootOwl said...

Inspiring Series Julie. Such a handsome Great Crested Fly catcher. The Tiger moth is awesome!

Joke van de Klift said...

Dag, Julie
Wat heb je een schitterende blogsite.
Prachtig die vlinders, libellen en kikkers, in één woord geweldig.
Ik houd ook ontzettend van de natuur met al wat groeid en bloeid en natuurlijk de dieren.
neem ook eens een kijkje op mijn blog, dan zie je wat ik bedoel.
Ik blijf je volgen, zo veel moois mag ik niet missen.
Lieve groet,
Joke

Joke van de Klift said...

Dag, Julie
Bedankt voor het reageren op mijn blog, en je lovly words, i speak a little englisch, but with translate komen we er wel uit vind je niet?
I try it in Englisch and then the other words in Netherlands, Oké!
Lieve groet,
Joke.

sebi_2569 said...

the best photo; bravo

Joanna Durczok said...

What an interesting frog. I love these shots:)